This is the go to weekend homemade brunch in my house. It’s easy once you master the art of poached eggs and super yummy. I’ve made it so many times I can whip it up in 15 minutes flat.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 4 strips of crispy bacon
- 4 eggs
- splash o’ vinegar for poaching
- 4 cups of kale salad
If you’re a crazy Costco obsessive like me you can buy the already cooked and easily microwaveable bacon in bulk. They also have a kale salad mix that has shaved brussel sprouts and cabbage (it’s meant to be and is delicious eaten raw and comes with salad dressing, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds) that is perfect for this.
- Heat your oven to 375F and start a small pot of water to poach your eggs.
- Toss your kale mix in a little bit of olive oil (I used 2 tsp), salt, and pepper. I also put a splash of balsamic just because. Throw that in the oven.
- Masterful egg poaching happens post-splash of vinegar in the water. (Poaching pro tip: you want your water at a gentle simmer. Crazy boiling = messed up eggs. Also, nobody has time to be pretty – just make sure that egg is runny and that white is cooked through.)
- Cook your bacon and roughly chop it.
- Toss the kale a bit so it doesn’t burn and throw it back in the oven for 5 minutes. You want it to be wilted, slightly browned, and crispy on some edges.
- Assemble! Grab a big plate and make a bed of roasted kale mix. Sprinkle chopped bacon. Gently lay each poached egg on the bed of kale and bacon. Salt and pepper the eggs.
- Bask in the glory of your fancy Costco-supplied brunch.
Runny egg = success.
Happy weekend, guys!